Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Back to my roots.


Yep! That's me and my brother and there I am with the silly grin on my face.  I was 10 in that picture.  This was my uncle's "garden."

Going to the "garden" was something I dreaded. As you can see, it wasn't quite the small, quaint garden you think of when you hear the word.  My family spent many early morning hours picking and hoeing and caring for this beast of a garden when I was younger.

I used to fake illness in hopes that I wouldn't have to go to the garden.

But, something in all those early morning hours must have stuck with me because last year I asked my husband if we could do a garden. He thought I was crazy and really didn't want to because he hates most vegetables.

But, I begged and pleaded. And, because my husband is amazing, he let me have a garden.  Soon, he found out that yellow squash cooked with the Our Best Bites Garlic Bread Seasoning and Parmesano Romano Cheese until the cheese is crispy is one of his favorite ways to eat vegetables.  In fact, he learned how to make it himself and started making it a couple times a week at least.

This year, we are getting started a little earlier, and can plant a few more things than we did last year.  We have planted snap peas, beets, carrots, radish, Swiss chard (my favorite), spinach, Kale, lettuce, and arugula. We have also planted some herbs (basil, chives, garlic chives, parsley, dill, cilantro, rosemary).

In March, we will plant yellow squash, zucchini, watermelon, tomatoes (already started indoors), peppers (also started indoors already), and cantaloupe. We may also possibly plant some cucumbers and butternut squash, but I haven't decided yet.

There's just something about watching a plant grow that makes Spring to amazing.

(A row of Arugula)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments!