Monday, July 29, 2013

Homemade is the only way to go!

As a stay-at-home mom, I don't have an income.  I'm sure many mothers/fathers are in this position.  To be thrifty and save money...and enjoy food more, I cook/bake most things we eat from scratch.  Today, I will tell you about the homemade hot dog/hamburger bun recipe I use.  I found the recipe on Budget 101. I usually double the recipe below in my Bosch mixer. Once finished, I allow the buns to cool and then bag and freeze.  My family does not even LIKE the taste of store bought buns anymore!  

8 cups all purpose flour
2 packages active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
3/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3 eggs


In large mixing bowl 4 cups flour with yeast.


Combine water, oil, sugar, and salt. Add to flour mixture. Add
eggs. Beat at low speed with mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl.
Beat 3 minutes at high speed. By hand, stir in 4 cups flour to make
a soft dough.


Turn out on floured surface, knead till smooth and elastic. Place
in greased bowl, turning once. Cover, let rise in warm place till
double (about one hour). Punch down, divide dough in 3 portions.
Cover, let rest 5 minutes. Divide each portion into eight balls.
Turn ball in hands, folding edges under to make a even circle.
Press ball flat between hands. Place on greased baking sheets,
pressing to 3 1/2 inch circles. Let rise till double (about 30
minutes). Bake at 375F about 10 minutes. Makes 24 buns.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments!